Ballasts from light fixtures

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Ballasts from light fixtures

Postby messymessy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Has anyone ever sold the ballasts out of light fixtures for scrap? How much did you get per pound and what type of fixture were they from?
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Ballasts from light fixtures

Postby natsb88 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:22 pm

I kept them separate once and asked about them at the yard, they said they just go in with mixed steel.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Many yards will not deal with them because they are a low volume item, they have a low copper return, and very old ones pose an environmental hazard.

Companies that buy them will classify them as "scrap ballasts" or sometimes "sealed units", the later being the same category as compressors. Currently I can get around $0.20/lb.

They're found in flourescent bulb fixtures. The larger and more industrial the fixtures, the larger and heavier the ballasts need to be.

Ballasts made in the United States before the very late 1970s (1980 as a cutoff date to be safe) usually contain PCBs, and must be recycled properly.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby messymessy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks guys.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CrazyTom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 pm

My yard does take them at something less than motors.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby messymessy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 pm

I've been looking for over a year and have finally found a scrap yard (sorta) close that will take ballasts. The yard pays something close to electric motor price for ballasts.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:45 am

Good info. I wondered this myself and usually just threw it in with the dirty steel since I'm a small time scrapper and usually only had one or two ballasts at a time.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 am

ah yes , part of my troubles also....... never really have enough of anything to realize a gain by sorting it out.

though the scrap yard guys did educate me a little last week. shred steel ie anything small or ''contaminated'' by other metals or plastic is 155 a ton

while 'prepared'' is 180. ie the file cabnits if I took the time to remove the al handles. some of the steel shelves from the fridge.
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:39 pm

cwgii wrote:ah yes , part of my troubles also....... never really have enough of anything to realize a gain by sorting it out.

though the scrap yard guys did educate me a little last week. shred steel ie anything small or ''contaminated'' by other metals or plastic is 155 a ton

while 'prepared'' is 180. ie the file cabnits if I took the time to remove the al handles. some of the steel shelves from the fridge.

Never knew that that smallish yard here separated types of steel! Guess I need to Keep them Separated! :thumbup:
hobo finds

Postby messymessy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Just got $.21 a pound for scrap ballasts. I've been saving them for a while and got about $160.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aussamdad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Hey messymessy thanks for starting this thread...I have been throwing the ballast in with the mix steel...I just called my other scrapyard, they do not take steel, and they are paying $0.15 lb. Now to load up the rest of the ballasts, my 316 @$0.75 lb and 304 @ $0.50 lb Stainless steel, and lead acid batteries...for a little payday.
aussamdad

Postby daviscfad » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:30 pm

I have sold ballast separate but not sure the price per pound. Maybe .20 or .25 cent. More than steel price
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage