Scraping mirrors!

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scraping mirrors!

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Do you ever come across old mirrors that are losing the shiny reflective stuff? On old mirrors that shiny stuff is SILVER!

I have two ready to scrap out. Anyone care to offer ideas on the best way to remove the SILVER from the glass????
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Scraping mirrors!

Postby messymessy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 am

Aren't old mirrors just a piece of glass with a silver coating on back? Would a razor blade scrap the coating off? You know, the kind of razor blade knife you use to scrap paint off windows.

Please let us know how it turns out. Time spent versus silver recovered.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:48 am

I doubt the value of the silver would fairly compensate you for your efforts. You're talking a layer that is only one or two mil thick :shifty: If you were lucky (ok, so I'm guessing here) I would think that there's less than one dollars worth of silver per mirror.

Sell them on ebay to other salvagers
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:44 pm

I used to see someone posting on CL's wanted section they were looking for unused film rolls. I imagine they were looking to recover silver that way. Do old photographs have silver in them? I need to look that up. If they do and you find a non-ending source of them, you might have stumbled upon a silver mine.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:19 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:I used to see someone posting on CL's wanted section they were looking for unused film rolls. I imagine they were looking to recover silver that way. Do old photographs have silver in them? I need to look that up. If they do and you find a non-ending source of them, you might have stumbled upon a silver mine.

The film has them, but the silver content is miniscule.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Many modern mirrors don't use silver. And the ones that do have such a tiny amount it's not worth the cost to recover it.

Large mirrors with some damage to the edges are worth selling as is; buyers can have them cut down to a smaller size.

JerrySpringer wrote:I used to see someone posting on CL's wanted section they were looking for unused film rolls. I imagine they were looking to recover silver that way. Do old photographs have silver in them? I need to look that up. If they do and you find a non-ending source of them, you might have stumbled upon a silver mine.

Certain types of unused film sell for a premium to hobbyists and businesses, as a most of it is not being manufactured anymore.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:54 am

Dr. Cadmium wrote:Certain types of unused film sell for a premium to hobbyists and businesses, as a most of it is not being manufactured anymore.

Doesn't it degrade over time eventually becoming useless? I seem to recall once using
some slightly past date film and getting poorer than normal pictures as a result.

I'm pretty sure for instance the last disc of Kodak disc film to roll off the assembly line
would be so far past expiry as to be useless by now for instance. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbDRRjG_BM
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gubni » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:25 am

Some film such as xray film has a decent amount of silver in it.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:44 am

gubni wrote: xray film has a decent amount of silver in it.

I have a buddy that sells chemicals to an outfit that recovers silver from the film....he has seen them use blocks of recovered silver as door stops :thumbup:
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:21 am

fasteddy wrote:

I have a buddy that sells chemicals to an outfit that recovers silver from the film....he has seen them use blocks of recovered silver as door stops :thumbup:

One of these days I plan to build a wedge-shaped mold for silver door-stops. Dipped in rubber, it'd be pretty easy to hide a monster box in plain sight. :thumbup:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:49 am

Engineer wrote:
fasteddy wrote:

One of these days I plan to build a wedge-shaped mold for silver door-stops. Dipped in rubber, it'd be pretty easy to hide a monster box in plain sight. :thumbup:

On Auction Hunters, one of the characters claimed he found a huge silver bar amongst blocks of lead used by a shooting club that stored their gear in a storage locker.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage