Rusting tanks around the world

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Rusting tanks around the world

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 pm

http://io9.com/these-abandoned-tanks-ar ... 1100567629

If there was ever a scrapping opportunity.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Rusting tanks around the world

Postby BenG76 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Wow that's a lot of metal lying around. It looks like it would be worth the time for the locals to scrap them out.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Country » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Fantastic photos, but an incredible waste...
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Country wrote:Fantastic photos, but an incredible waste...

+1
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 pm

mtalbot_ca wrote:
Country wrote:Fantastic photos, but an incredible waste...

+1

Some of the third world countries probably don't have a functioning and industrial scale steel recycling industry. In Russia they have steel plants for sure, but keep in mind how far apart things are in Russia, so fuel cost could be an issue. Imagine transporting scrap over 200 miles by truck just to get 10 cents a pound! Despite the gutting of our industrial core in the 90s, at least we still have reasonably good road and rail infrastructure.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 am

Fabulous photos...I am sure glad none of those pics were taken here in America...we get to travel the countryside and see old cars and farm implements decaying.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:29 pm

fasteddy wrote:Fabulous photos...I am sure glad none of those pics were taken here in America...we get to travel the countryside and see old cars and farm implements decaying.

plenty of our own tax dollars worth of tanks and equipment are rusting away right here in amerika...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 pm

aloneibreak wrote:
fasteddy wrote:Fabulous photos...I am sure glad none of those pics were taken here in America...we get to travel the countryside and see old cars and farm implements decaying.

plenty of our own tax dollars worth of tanks and equipment are rusting away right here in amerika...

Not to mention the 200 or so Abrams Tanks the Egyptians "mothballed," still in their shipping containers: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/08/ ... hem-anyway
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:34 pm

The main graveyard for most old military items is in Arizona.

Once after the First Gulf War and the new Abrams was shown to be effective I got to be on a detail in Utah to drive over 200 M-60 to their grave yard. Some were moved into the firing line to be target practice, but most were parked in a lot and they will probably rust there for eternity.

I still have the firing pins out of two of them. The firing pin sits nicely in my palm and reaches the end of my fingers.

Unless you were in the service and know where these graveyards are at you will never see them. They are far away from population centers.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 am

coppernickel wrote:The main graveyard for most old military items is in Arizona.

Once after the First Gulf War and the new Abrams was shown to be effective I got to be on a detail in Utah to drive over 200 M-60 to their grave yard. Some were moved into the firing line to be target practice, but most were parked in a lot and they will probably rust there for eternity.

I still have the firing pins out of two of them. The firing pin sits nicely in my palm and reaches the end of my fingers.

Unless you were in the service and know where these graveyards are at you will never see them. They are far away from population centers.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/ui/index ... cle&id=175

Davis Monthan AFB graveyard aerial photos and more.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage