Hold your brass or scrap it now?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Hold your brass or scrap it now?

Postby Pennysaved » Mon May 27, 2013 6:49 pm

I pick up a lot of brass items on my yard sale excursions.

If you had the room, would you hold onto your brass and wait for a higher price OR would you go ahead and cash it in now?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Hold your brass or scrap it now?

Postby messymessy » Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Pennysaved wrote:I pick up a lot of brass items on my yard sale excursions.

If you had the room, would you hold onto your brass and wait for a higher price OR would you go ahead and cash it in now?

I'm waiting, but I really don't have that much to worry about.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I have been buying also. I really contemplate getting rid of it. its not taking up a lot of space, but what's it really going to be worth
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue May 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Sell it and turn a profit, then go to more garage sales and buy more. Repeat the cycle over and over.

If you start hoarding a lot of material, it takes up space and ties up money.

One popular suggestion here is to "convert your scrap into silver" which takes up a lot less space. Or copper pennies or nickels.

Brass is easier to hoard than other types of base metal scrap because it's dense and tends to come in small pieces, but it's not the best option. I can usually get a better price at local yards if I sell them more than 100 lbs of clean brass at a time. 500 lbs or more will get dealer prices at most yards. Unless you're trying to build up an amount this size to squeeze out another $0.10-$0.15 per pound, I don't see the point.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby smackvay » Thu May 30, 2013 9:56 pm

I scrap about 30 ac units a month as i side job from m y work and i get nice prices on my #1 and #2 copper, BRASS clean and dirty, my real money maker is radiators, and also scrap metal and the compressor pumps. Brass is not going up or down in my opinion as ive been doing it 5 years and id say its never changed a whole lot compared to other metals(like copper right now is in the crapper) im sitting on about 850 pounds of number 1. But the longer its down the more it stacks up :clap:
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage