Keep your eyes open at this spring's yard sales

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Keep your eyes open at this spring's yard sales

Postby Thogey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Someone bought this for 3 bucks.

It sold for $2.2X10^6

If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Keep your eyes open at this spring's yard sales

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:27 pm

:shock: Tell me "someone" was you.

I see it's a link from NY Times or post or something.... do you have the story somewhere?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm

It wasn't me.

Follow the link grasshopper.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Link isn't coming up for me, but I found this:

Purchased for a few dollars at a yard sale, this 1,000-year-old Song Dynasty bowl fetched $ 2.2 million at a Sotheby’s auction.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
A bowl bought for $ 3 at a yard sale sold for $ 2.2 million on Tuesday
The 1,000-year-old bowl was on display in the previous owner’s living room
Initial estimates valued the bowl at $ 200,000 to $ 300,000

(CNN) — A rare Chinese bowl bought for about $ 3 from a yard sale in the U.S. sold for $ 2.2 million at an auction in New York on Tuesday.

The bowl, found in New York state, “was bought for a few dollars from a tag sale near the consignor’s home in the summer of 2007,” said Cecilia Leung of Sotheby’s. “At the time, the purchaser had no idea that they had happened upon a 1,000-year-old treasure.”

The previous owner displayed the bowl in their living room for several years before they became curious about its origins and had it assessed, Leung said. Sotheby’s pre-sale estimates valued the bowl, which measures just five inches in diameter, at between $ 200,000 to $ 300,000.

The ‘Ding’ bowl is an example of Northern Song Dynasty pottery and described by Sotheby’s as “remarkable and exceptionally beautiful.”

The only other known bowl of the same size, form and almost identical decoration has been in the collection of the British Museum in London for over 60 years, according to Sotheby’s.

The bowl was purchased by London dealer, Giuseppe Eskenazi, for $ 2,225,000, after a prolonged battle between four bidders.

Read more: http://totallywp.com/2013/03/20/3-yard- ... z2O87k46Ag
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm

that's it
Thogey

Postby messymessy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Just looks like a bowl to me. My dog would still be drinking out of it.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, whoop-tee-doo. Bowl looks lame. Not even any bling and it gets 2.2mil?
Last edited by NHsorter on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 pm

I don't see the "exceptionally beautiful" part, but I'd sure take someone's 2 million dollars for it.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby angel2004 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:40 am

Yes, I saw this as well. The person buying it must have know something or why go get a simple dish like that appraised? But very lucky to say the least! I think if truly an honest find, I would give something to whoever it was purchased from! Also, I wonder where it has really been all these years. Only 2 in the world!
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage