trash day

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

trash day

Postby scrapper2010 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:38 am

Is it worth it to drive around for scrap metal the night before trash day. I have been doing this for about three weeks, and have accumulated some pretty good stuff, currently stashed in my garage, and have yet to make it to the scrap yard for recylcing. Does anyone here still do this? Has anyone found it profitable? BTW, I have found several items that would be good for a garage sale or flea market, so that might help the bottom line. ;)
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: trash day

Postby cpthnsolo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:01 pm

It all depends on how much you find versus how much you think your time is. For the first 4 or 5 months this year I would find roughly $40 to $50 worth of metal in under two hours so it was worth it to me. Competition has increased so much here in Orlando over the last few months that I don't even bother any more. I simply refuse to drive around for two hours to make $20.

Also keep in mind that you need to break things down to make the most money. Keep all clipped electrical cords in a pile, electric motors in another pile, clean copper in another, and so on. Good luck :)
cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage