Tin food cans

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Tin food cans

Postby Treasurekidd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello all, just a quick questions for you. I save up my cans until I have a few yard waste bags full of them to cash in. I have also been putting aside my tin food cans from home use, rinsed out, labels removed and crushed flat. I've got a few bags of aluminum ready to be brought in, along with some other steel and copper items, but this is the first load of tin food cans I'll be bringing along. How do the yards treat these cans, as simple steel scrap, or as something else (tin)? Thanks everyone!
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Treasurekidd

Re: Tin food cans

Postby hobo finds » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 pm

yes steel scrap at yards by me
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby natsb88 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Food cans are not made from the metal tin, but rather steel. Yards often call sheet steel "tin," even though it's not the element tin. My yard says they take them for "free" alongside plastic and glass, but they don't seem to care if you throw them in with other steel scrap...
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm

.08 per pound here. I save every shread of metal i find. It's worth at least .08 per lb. now.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby sillllvar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

I throw mine in with the light steel when I go to my yard...no prob yet.
sillllvar

Postby theirrationalist » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:58 pm

A tin can, much like tin foil, is not actually made of tin. Tin is a lead-like metal that doesn't corrode very easily. Steel can are used to package food, but they have a tin coating to keep them from rusting. This is cheaper than making them out of SS I'm assuming. But, at any rate, they will take it as steel.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Heartkill » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:12 am

Thogey wrote:.08 per pound here. I save every shread of metal i find. It's worth at least .08 per lb. now.

A little over .10 now here in Georgia. Steel is looking better every day!
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby bankmining » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Thogey wrote:.08 per pound here. I save every shread of metal i find. It's worth at least .08 per lb. now.

That's exactly what I got on a couple hundred pounds on Monday at my local yard with a fair amount of steel food cans in the mix. I'm in WA state.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage