Electric Motor Stages and payouts

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Electric Motor Stages and payouts

Postby Hades12 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 pm

How far do you take down motors? and what does your yard pay in each of these stages?

I have found that on these the top and bottom are cast AL and only take a minute to take apart.

3stages.jpg
3stages.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

This is the center from a fan motor, anyone seperate the steel from them? I have asked two yards and they will only give steel price with them being dirty. Not sure if they are worth trying to seperate.

AL-Core.jpg
AL-Core.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Re: Electric Motor Stages and payouts

Postby theirrationalist » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:45 am

In regards to the first picture: My yard pays the same for copper breakage, and doesn't distinguish grades of breakage. So all three of those motors would sell for the same price.

The second picture: I don't really see the copper windings. If there are no windings, then they shouldn't buy it at motor price.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hades12 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:18 am

sorry, second pic the core is AL no copper on it. but they wont pay a % of AL cause of so much steel.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:03 pm

A lot of times the outer casing on motors is diecast zinc, not cast aluminum. Double-check, as the former is not worth as much. I can't tell from the photos.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hades12 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:29 pm

How do I tell the difference?
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Both cast zinc (often simply called "diecast") and cast aluminum are silver-gray in color normally but can be coated or painted to look like almost anything. They don't stick to a magnet and they don't spark. They're also both brittle metals and crack apart when struck with a hammer.

To tell them apart:

Cast zinc is much denser than cast aluminum. A comparable piece of zinc will generally way over 2.5 times as much as a piece of aluminum.

Cast zinc usually has a slightly bluish-tone that becomes easier to recognize with experience.

Cast zinc pieces are often more detailed than cast aluminum, though not always. Things like gears, door hardware and ornate fittings.

When in doubt, use the nitric acid test, assuming you have basic knowledge of chemistry and safety. Concentrated nitric acid reacts instantly and aggresively with zinc, producing brown smoke (note if you get white precipitate in addition to brown smoke you have tin, Sn). Reactions with aluminum are minimal.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hades12 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:19 pm

I did a quick check of ends I have all had about the same weight and were real light, so I would assume cast aluminum. I am taking a load tomorrow and will verify with the yard guy.

Thanks for the great info.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby wayne1956 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 pm

In that first picture, the right most motor, if the string threads do not have a coat of varnish, you can easily remove the threads, snip the wires from one end and pull them out the other. I do this often with ones I remove from compressors from refrigerators and freezers (AC units have the varnish and I just sell the compressors as is, the yard will pay .11 for them vice .07 for steel price) . The windings are easy to remove and sell as #2 copper. I have accumulated over two 5 gallon buckets full.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hades12 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 pm

I cut a few compressors this week average about 4 pounds in each one. Callled the yard today and it is aboit 2.80 per pound. I have about 30 pounds from the motoers and compredssors so far.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby theirrationalist » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:19 pm

wayne1956 wrote:In that first picture, the right most motor, if the string threads do not have a coat of varnish, you can easily remove the threads, snip the wires from one end and pull them out the other.

What type of motors don't have enameled wire? I thought the varnish was what insulated the coils?
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby wayne1956 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:01 am

theirrationalist wrote:
wayne1956 wrote:In that first picture, the right most motor, if the string threads do not have a coat of varnish, you can easily remove the threads, snip the wires from one end and pull them out the other.

What type of motors don't have enameled wire? I thought the varnish was what insulated the coils?

I have found the motors from the compressors in refrigerators and freezers do not have the same heavy varnish coating as in AC compressor motors. In the AC motors, the varnish causes the string to be sticky and stiff, and the individual strands stick together. In the refrigerator motors, it does not have the same heavy coating. There is a coating on the individual strands, but it does not cause the strings to be stiff or the wires to stick together.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage