what should I do with these boards before I sell them?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

what should I do with these boards before I sell them?

Postby ilyaz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 am

The photo shows 3 m'boards and a PCI card. The question is: what should I do with them before I try to sell them? Do I separate out the CPUs and sell them separately? Do I remove various plastic parts, capacitors, ports etc to make it more valuable? With the PCI card, do I just remove the fingers and toss the rest?

Thanks!
Attachments
boards.jpg
boards.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 706 times
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Re: what should I do with these boards before I sell them?

Postby tyoon21 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Personally, I separate out the CPU's and the aluminum heat sinks. Also if there is any memory on there separate those out too.

It's a pain in the rear to take apart the plastic parts, I usually leave those.

As for the PCI cards that's your call. People will buy them without the fingers for a much reduced price. The fingers do fetch a good deal on sites like Ebay. Personally, I don't separate them but then again, I dont' harvest enough cards to make separating worth while.
tyoon21
Penny Sorter Member

Re: what should I do with these boards before I sell them?

Postby theirrationalist » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm

I don't know how many of these boards you have, but If you have a lot of them, consider segregating the CPUs into ceramic and non-ceramics. The 2 CPUs on the left is ceramic, and the one on the right isn't ceramic. When you sell them on Ebay, sell them in separate lots. Gold refiners like the ceramic ones because they are easier to handle. As for the fingers, go ahead and cut them off, and sell them on Ebay too. My yard will still buy PCI boards that have the fingers cut off for computer board price.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage