how do i know if these candlesticks are sterling ?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

how do i know if these candlesticks are sterling ?

Postby 97guns » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:07 pm

i have a pair of candlesticks that are 24K gold electroplted. the only marking on the bottom is International Silver Co. i took some of the electroplating off and its silver in color underneath, it does not react to a magnet either. what can i do to determin if its silver or not.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Re: how do i know if these candlesticks are sterling ?

Postby Robarons » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

A sterling candlestick will say weighted/reinforced sterling on the bottom. If its not there its not sterling.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 am

97guns wrote:i have a pair of candlesticks that are 24K gold electroplted. the only marking on the bottom is International Silver Co. i took some of the electroplating off and its silver in color underneath, it does not react to a magnet either. what can i do to determin if its silver or not.

Like Robarons said, if it does not say "Sterling", don't buy it. Even sometimes the ones with "Sterling" are not up to the required percentage of silver to be called Sterling. Sterling is suppose to be 92.5% or higher in silver content.

After that it gets pretty tricky. PM Market Harmony or Kurr to learn how to assay the stuff.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Around the same time as weighted sterling candlesticks were being made other companies tried to do the same in silver plate and peweter. These arent as common as the sterling candlesticks, but they are out there. International Silver Co. is a higher grade silver manufacturer with most of their items being sterling and heavier. However they have cheapened up a bit and produce plate and things like what you own.

A common thing now that you see on a weighted candlesticks is what Gorham is doing , another high quality silversmith, is making it identical down to the ridges on the bottom of the base, stampign their name and some silver marks (the crown, anchor date letters etc.) but not marking sterling or using EP (electroplate).

A rule that I have is that if someone is going to go thru all the trouble to make something out of silver or gold they are going to sign it or stamp it in some way. Umarked stuff is out there, but one can usalyy tell if its higher quality and gold/silver or not. Either way stick to your markings.

Also if you ever wanted to test this or other silver items nitric acid does the trick, google it. It turns red or green, etc can tell you what you need to know. Testing kits are very helpful in these situations when done correctly.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:25 pm

97guns wrote:i have a pair of candlesticks that are 24K gold electroplted. the only marking on the bottom is International Silver Co. i took some of the electroplating off and its silver in color underneath, it does not react to a magnet either. what can i do to determin if its silver or not.
I don't think anyone would put gold plating on sterling silver.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage