Robbed and recovered at can redemption center.

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Robbed and recovered at can redemption center.

Postby knibloe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Two months ago, the Boy Scouts did a can drive. My intent has been to take them about 30 miles away to turn them in because they give 6 cents a can instead of the normal 5. I hadn't gotten around to it, so Friday I took them up to the local place. I hate that place, they are slow, and I have always believed that they rip you off.

I had a whole trailer load. I figured it was about $200 worth. The place was busy, and after about 40 minutes of counting, the man insisted that we leave them and come back. I went back and he gave me $85. I could see my bags sitting in the corner under some other bags. He insisted that he had counted them. There wasn't a lot I could do.

I stewed over it all weekend. They were closed Sunday and Monday. First thing Tuesday, I took down a small bag of cans. My other bags were still sitting in the corner. While the man was counting the small bag, I walked over to my bags and grabbed one of them and asked again if he had counted them. He said yes. I asked why they were still in the old bags, why they were not sorted, and why they still had the garbage in them from when the boys collected them??? Fortunately, there was another woman working there. She agreed to "recount them." She also said for me to come back in a couple of hours. I told her I would wait. After about 15 minutes she conceded that there was absolutely no way that they had been counted. Came back with $195.

Next step is to report them to the BBB and attorney general. They have signs posted all over the place with different charities asking for people to donate cans. I wonder how many of the cans that people donate actually get stolen by them.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: Robbed and recovered at can redemption center.

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Good job not letting that go. That is pretty low robbing boy scouts!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Good job not letting that go. That is pretty low robbing boy scouts!

Had they been mine, I might have let it go, but my boys worked for several days collecting them and I couldn't let their work be for nothing.

Also, there were two reasons I didn't do anything the first day. First, was too stunned and it hadn't sunk in. Second I had my son there and if I was going to get into a confrontation, I didn't want to do it in front of him.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:58 pm

:clap: And file a BBB report please. Those fluffers need a smackdown.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby MetalMan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:56 am

I always weigh my cans beforehand so I can hold them accountable. Fortunately the yard i go to is honest and usually gives me a few pounds over my numbers.
MetalMan
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage