Electric Motors

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Electric Motors

Postby CU Baker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I have a chance to buy all the electric motors from my place of work. The cost is 19 cents per Pound. I told them I would give one weeks worth a try and see if I could make any money stripping them. So I purchased 507 lbs. this week. My question is do you think its worth the effort.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Electric Motors

Postby messymessy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm

CU Baker wrote:I have a chance to buy all the electric motors from my place of work. The cost is 19 cents per Pound. I told them I would give one weeks worth a try and see if I could make any money stripping them. So I purchased 507 lbs. this week. My question is do you think its worth the effort.

Big motors or small motors? Big motors might be worth it, small motors, no way.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 am

CU Baker wrote:I have a chance to buy all the electric motors from my place of work. The cost is 19 cents per Pound. I told them I would give one weeks worth a try and see if I could make any money stripping them. So I purchased 507 lbs. this week. My question is do you think its worth the effort.

Any type of processing effort will kill it. Your place of work already knows this.

Your margin will be really tight.

What kind of motors are they? Do they work?

Think beyond scrap.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scrapman1077 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 am

The scrap yard by me pays .16 cent a pound.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:41 pm

I get $.25 a pound for them can be copper or aluminum wound. Are yours all copper? You would not want to break down aluminum wound ones. Are you going to break down the ones you have, to see how much copper? You may make some on this but its going to take some time. What were they doing with the motors before you started buying them?
hobo finds

Postby CU Baker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 pm

The motors were going to the scrap yard at the same price. I can get twenty five from another one and they will pick up over a thousand pounds. The plant is switching over to all stainless housing on the motors, and thought I could make a little more on that. This load has one in it, small motors up to one that weighs 125 lbs. But the volume could be huge. We have four plants within a six block radius, Barrel of Fun, Tuffys dog food, Nut head, and Kenny's Candy. I just got the ones from BOF for the week.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:57 pm

If you have the right tools and work on your method, cutting up large motors can be an effective use of your time.

I know a guy who works at a yard and cuts up compressors and large motors all day long. He prefers Metabo brand grinders as they last a lot longer. However, usually they are buying the compressors at or just above steel price, and the motors for between $0.15 and $0.20/lb.

I think I can get $0.30/lb right now for electric motors, but that's dealer price and I haven't sold any lately.

What I would do: save up enough for the other company to pick up for $0.25/lb, while experimenting with cutting up the larger pieces. Find the minimum size that is worth separating, and keep everything else intact.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:17 pm

If these are functional industrial motors you mght consider listing them by make and model # in the commercial side of Ebay.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby smackvay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I just got $.32 for em's in West Virginia
you are wasting time taking them apart id find all your local scrap yards and call each one and ask to talk to the person in charge of pricing and work out a deal for a lot of weight. I did it just this past weekend and it got me from $.25 to $.32 just for electric motors on thousands of pounds that is a lot of money
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:32 pm

What type of motors are these? HP? voltage and phase?
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Can you burn the motors? Life is better if you can burn them. That's how we do motors and dry type transformers.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm

silversaddle1 wrote:Can you burn the motors? Life is better if you can burn them. That's how we do motors and dry type transformers.

What does this mean? "Burn the motors"?

Do you mean, burn off the plastic?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:25 am

Thogey wrote:
silversaddle1 wrote:Can you burn the motors? Life is better if you can burn them. That's how we do motors and dry type transformers.

What does this mean? "Burn the motors"?

Do you mean, burn off the plastic?

Yes, as in toss then in a fire. We strip them down and burn them to make it quicker to recover the copper. We only do this with larger motors/transformers. It's worth the time.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 pm

I cut up med sized motor. mostly fans from AC equipment. I get Winding price for the copper or Varnished #2 depends on which is higher that day. I use an air hammer to cut and get the windings out. The ends are al also.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage